RealNetworks' RTSP Proxy License

Joseph Reagle reagle at w3.org
Wed Sep 5 20:28:53 UTC 2001

On Wednesday 05 September 2001 15:46, Rob Lanphier wrote:
> I'd like to submit the RealNetworks' RTSP Proxy license for OSI
> certification.  The text of the license can be found at the URL below as
> well as in section B of this email:
> http://www.rtsp.org/2001/proxy/license.html

Hi Rob, my comments have no official standing, I have no affiliation with
OSI, I'm just trying to make myself useful.

> 2.Tell us which existing OSI-approved license is most similar to
> Response:
> This is very similar to the BSD license.  The jurisdiction for disputes
> is changed to the State of Washington, and there's a section on export
> restrictions.

Which license? If I run a diff with [1], which is the "new" post
advertising-requirement BSD license, it's not that similar.

[1] http://www.opensource.org/licenses/bsd-license.html

> Response:
> This should be entirely compatible with all OSI-approved licenses,
> assuming that the BSD license (newer version) is compatible with all
> OSI-approved licenses.

Please give the URI to the stated BSD license.

> http://www.rtsp.org/2001/proxy/license.html
> 1. GRANT OF LICENSE.
>
> Subject to the provisions contained in this License Agreement, RN hereby
> grants you a non-exclusive, non-transferable, perpetual, worldwide
> license to use, modify or redistribute the Software subject to the
> following terms and conditions:
>
> (a) The copyright notice ("(c) 2001 RealNetworks, Inc.") and this copy of
> this License Agreement shall appear on all copies and/or any derivative
> versions of the Software you create or distribute.

> (b) You acknowledge and agree that RN is and shall be the exclusive owner
> of all right, title and interest, including copyright, in the Software.

You mean the original software or the derived software? Or are you saying
the derivatives works are exclusively owned by RN as well (but under this
license)? For instance, if I made a build on it next year, I would expect
to be able to use the following statement:

  Copyright 2001 RealNetwork, Inc. Copyright 2002 Joseph Reagle.
  This software is distributed under the RN Software License.