fileset without makefiles Open Source?!

Russell Nelson nelson at crynwr.com
Thu Oct 18 18:23:49 UTC 2001

Harald Albrecht writes:
 > Lately I had a discussion with someone who wants to provide source code
 > for his project, but without makefile(s). He intends to call it "Open
 > Source".

Grrrrrrrr.  Nobody has a trademark on Open Source, so he can call it
that if he wants.  But he's gonna annoy a lot of people who download
it only to find out that it's not directly buildable.  So, okay,
somebody will write a Makefile, and create a derivative work which
includes the Makefile.

If he intends that to be the only obstacle to people making derivative
works, he will fail.

--
-russ nelson <sig at russnelson.com>  http://russnelson.com
Crynwr sells support for free software  | PGPok | It's a crime, not an act