binary restrictions?

Russell Nelson nelson at crynwr.com
Thu Oct 4 20:04:29 UTC 2001

Ned Lilly writes:
 > Is anyone aware of a license which permits source access and
 > modifications, patch contributions, but restricts the right to
 > distribute compiled binaries to the sponsoring organization?

A binary is a derived work.  An open source license has to allow
distribution of binaries.  That's not to say that you can't create a
Source-Available license which prohibited binary distribution, but it
wouldn't be Open Source, and we wouldn't certify it.

--
-russ nelson <sig at russnelson.com>  http://russnelson.com
Crynwr sells support for free software  | PGPok | It's a crime, not an act