Subscription/Service Fees - OSD Intent

Angelo Schneider angelo.schneider at oomentor.de
Thu Mar 29 20:45:05 UTC 2001

David Johnson wrote:

> > Diese Nachricht wurde automatisch von einer Regel weitergeleitet.
> >
> On Thursday March 29 2001 03:25 am, Eric Jacobs wrote:
>
> > It is this sort of illogical argument that will prevent this issue from
> > ever coming to rest. Let me offer an analogy.
>
> I did manage to pass logic in college. However, I don't always do so well in
> English. Let me restate what I meant:
>
> Software that requires a registration fee is possible, and exists. Such
> software cannot be considered Open Source, however. It is possible that upon

Sorry, thats wrong. To this point it can be open source.

> registering the software, the license could convert to an Open Source
> license. From that point on, that copy and all derivatives of it cannot

But you can not require the reciever(call him A) of the software NOT TO
DISTRIBUITE IT FURTHER, or to let the final recipient(B) also pay a fee.

A is free to do what he like swith the software, he even can sell it for
a higher price. But the inventor has no force to get B to pay something
to him.

> require a registration fee and remain Open Source.
>
> Does this make more sense?
>
> --

Angelo

Angelo Schneider         OOAD/UML         Angelo.Schneider at oomentor.de
Putlitzstr. 24       Patterns/FrameWorks          Fon: +49 721 9812465
76137 Karlsruhe           C++/JAVA                Fax: +49 721 9812467