Subscription/Service Fees

Ian Lance Taylor ian at airs.com
Tue Mar 27 21:38:34 UTC 2001

"Karsten M. Self" <kmself at ix.netcom.com> writes:

> > Netscape was able to actively sell into those corporations in a very
> > interesting manner.  "Since you already have our products and the
> > license says you are required to pay we suggest you pay us."
>
> Support this statement with a citation and/or reference.

Do you not believe that?  I also thought that that was what they did.

Of course, it was before Netscape was using an open source license.
Back then the Netscape license said you could use it for some time for
free (30 days, maybe) and then you had to purchase a license.  This
was not enforced by the code.

I actually purchased a license, myself.  I paid $30 or so.  Netscape
sent me a piece of paper.

It was only after Internet Explorer was released for free that
Netscape went to fully free licensing, and, for Mozilla, open source.

If David thinks that Netscape asked for licensing fees after they were
under an open source license, I'm sure he is mistaken.

Ian