Interesting Microsoft license clause re open source

Alon Altman alon at vipe.technion.ac.il
Thu Jun 28 00:14:13 UTC 2001

On Wed, 27 Jun 2001, Ravicher, Daniel B. wrote:
> I'm genuinely curious how you would respond to someone who made these
> arguments against any one of the open source licenses since they too don't
> require a signature or for someone to give a verbal "OK".  What if someone
> said "Just because the GPL says I'm under an agreement does not make it so."

As written in article 5 of the GPL:

5. You are not required to accept this License, since you have not signed
it. However, nothing else grants you permission to modify or distribute the
Program or its derivative works. These actions are prohibited by law if you
do not accept this License. Therefore, by modifying or distributing the
Program (or any work based on the Program), you indicate your acceptance of
this License to do so, and all its terms and conditions for copying,
distributing or modifying the Program or works based on it.

  This means that if you did not read and accept the GPL (or any other
license) than copyright law holds and you are not allowed to use, modify
and/or distribute the software.

  Alon

--
This message was sent by Alon Altman (Psycho99 at bigfoot.com) ICQ:1366540
The RIGHT way to contact me is by e-mail. I am otherwise nonexistent :)