which country's law?

Rod Dixon rodd at cyberspaces.org
Thu Jun 21 21:34:04 UTC 2001

You have asked a terribly complex question. Two issues are at stake: what
body of law might apply to a dispute over your software AND where might
you be haled in to court. In other words the answer depends on
choice-of-law rules and jurisdiction over the defendant ...(not to
mention
any treaty that might be relevant if the tranaction is transborder). A
license need
not specify either answer, but doiong so MIGHT help. In the United states,
personal jurisdiction is a matter of state law and federal constitutional
law. Hence, the provision in a license MAY not be dispositive, although
often it is. In my opinion, the bottom line is  if one is engaged in
electronic commerce, it
is prudent to cover these issues in the license.