License Question

Stephane Routelous routelous at cad-cam-concept.de
Thu Jun 21 10:27:20 UTC 2001

Hello,

thanks for your help.

Basically , I want to developp a Class Libary , extending an OpenSource
Class Libary licensed under a pseudo-LGPL.

If my Library is under the GPL,  the users are not able to sell an
application using my Library.
If my Library is under the LGPL, the users can sell their products without
saying "thanks" .

So I would like to have a license allowing the free softwares done with my
Library to be free, and I get nothing in this case.
But if the sofware using my Library is a commercial software, I would like
to have something from the developpers of the commercial software ( perhaps
not money, but for example they send me the commercial application and a
valid license of the commercial application).

I've read the Q Public License V1.0 . They are saying :
(§6-c)
If the items are not available to the general public ( Here I understand
commercial (?)), and the initial developer of the software ( it's me )
requests a copy of the items, then you must supply one.

What do they mean with a copy ? it is a copy of the binary ( of the
application ), or it is the source code of the application ?

Is it also a way to force the modifications of MyLibrary to be included in
MyLibrary ( in the QPL ( §3 ), they are allowing to distribute separately
the modifications if the License of the modification are not release under
the QPL ) ?

If the modifications are included by other users ( developers ), what
happens with the copyright ?
Are the developers including their modifications in MyLibrary owning the
copyright of their code ?
In this case, can I sold the library if some other people have copyright
code in this library ?

I didn't think that it was so complicated to choose a license !!

Stephane