Real-World Copyright Assignment

David Johnson david at usermode.org
Thu Jun 21 02:55:29 UTC 2001

On Wednesday 20 June 2001 08:18 am, Greg Herlein wrote:

> I thought these were considered unenforcable.  Can you really
> give up rights from a click?  I know that contracts can legally
> give up rights (even some promised uner the Constitution) but can
> a click be a binding contractual agreement?  I'd be hesitant
> about that.

I don't believe that you can be bound to a license by a mere click-through.
>From what I understand, even the courts waver on both sides of this one. But
what do I know? I also believe that you shouldn't be bound by a license
merely by using the software it's attached to.

I have no problems with licenses that grant me extra permissions on top of
what copyright law gives. I can ignore them and operate under copyright law
with no consequence. But before a license can take away any of the rights
that the law gives me, I want there to be an explicit agreement. Just saying
"by using this software you agree you will serve one year as Bill Gates' piss
boy" just ain't good enough!

--
David Johnson