Real-World Copyright Assignment

John Cowan jcowan at reutershealth.com
Wed Jun 20 16:24:35 UTC 2001

Greg Herlein wrote:

> The goal, as I have defined it for my project, is that if you
> want to use my libraries in your project and your project is open
> source code - ie, the code is available for inspection and
> derivation, and no commercial fees are charged for derivative
> works - then I want my code to be free for your use - ie, the
> code is available for inspection and derivation, and no
> commercial fees are charged for derivative works.  However, if
> you want to keep your code closed - for whatever reason - or
> charge for the right to derive from your code, then you must make
> alternative (commercial) arrangments with me.

Given the current set of licenses, this goal cannot be achieved
in full generality.  For example, there is no way to license your
library L so that it can be used in a product P that is as a whole
under the MIT/BSD license, for it would then be possible to incorporate
product P into a larger product P' under a closed-source license.

Most of the effect, though can be gotten by licensing library L
under the GPL and then saying "Licenses for using this library in
non-GPL products are available from the author."
Of course, you must make sure that any contributors to L either assign
copyright to you (simplest), or else agree fully with this scheme.

--
There is / one art             || John Cowan <jcowan at reutershealth.com>
no more / no less              || http://www.reutershealth.com