Real-World Copyright Assignment

Dave J Woolley david.woolley at bts.co.uk
Wed Jun 20 16:07:50 UTC 2001

> From:	Greg Herlein [SMTP:gherlein at herlein.com]
>
> The goal, as I have defined it for my project, is that if you
> want to use my libraries in your project and your project is open
> source code - ie, the code is available for inspection and
> derivation, and no commercial fees are charged for derivative
[DJW:]
That's a subset of commercial use.  Some people, e.g.
the kermit people, consider distribution for profit on
a CD to be commercial use.  They also consider any
distribution were there is a commercial relationship
to be commercial, but both are allowed for "open source".

Some people consider internal use by for profit
organisations to be commercial, but this sort of use
is definitely permitted for open source.

Some "open source" licences permit conversion to binary
only, non-redistributable, form, but others don't.