license-mix, legal consequences?

Danese Cooper Danese.Cooper at Sun.COM
Tue Jun 19 19:45:01 UTC 2001

At Sun, we license OpenOffice.org code under both the LGPL and SISSL.
Since only the copyright holder can change licensing terms for a body
of code, we collect copyright assignments from contributors (whether
they are working under LGPL or SISSL).  The point is that we have to
work at keeping the codebase "whole" under both licenses.

About including code you don't "own" (by copyright) in such a scheme.  In
NetBeans there were several libraries which we didn't own and didn't have
rights to redistribute.  We included these as binaries with the author's
permission and modified our build system to use the binaries...

Danese