License List -- as of 9-11-00

Matthew C. Weigel weigel+ at pitt.edu
Sat Jun 2 02:07:46 UTC 2001

I support the OSI encouraging people to use established licenses, both
because as a member of the community I want them to do that, and
because as an independant observer I expect them to represent that
community.

However, my criticism is that they are, specifically, adding to the
confusion, because the list of approved licenses is not kept accurate.
No one *knew* that the OSI had not approved the APSL, and they assumed
that it had been approved because that was the consensus of this list
(check the archives, there's even a message to that effect:
http://www.mail-archive.com/license-discuss@opensource.org/msg03239.html).
They also made quite clear in their press release
(http://www.opensource.org/press_releases/osi-clarifies-APSL.html) that
the APSL was acceptable.  That a later version (which was widely
considered to be much more in line with the open source vision) was
quietly *not* approved adds even more confusion.

As I said, the things that would adequately address this is for the
list to be kept up to date at all times, so that people can
*see* whether a license they thought should be approved was approved.

 weigel+ at pitt.edu