Common public license?

Tina Gasperson tinahdee at tampabay.rr.com
Thu Jul 19 13:14:30 UTC 2001

I am in communication with IBM to find out more information about the Common
Public License version 0.5. I know that the IBM Public License is approved by
OSI as an Open Source license. Is the Common Public License that IBM is using
for at least one of its OSS projects, under consideration as an Open Source
approved license as well? Here are a couple of relevant links:

http://oss.software.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/license-cpl.html - text
of the Common Public License

http://www.opensource.org/licenses/ibmpl.html - text of the IBM Public License

Through a check of the archives of this list, I learned that the CPL is
simply the IPL with all references to IBM removed. I also noticed
that IBM infers the CPL is approved by the OSI as well
(http://oss.software.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/index.html - see top
two lines of text), However, I didn't see it on the list at
www.opensource.org. Is
the website simply in need of updating?

Any insight you can provide would be greatly appreciated - mainly, why do you
think IBM would use the CPL instead of the IPL for one of its own projects?

Please note that this is research for a story about SBLIM, a new open source
project just released by IBM, that falls under the CPL. I am seeking quotes
for publication.

Thanks
Tina Gasperson
editor/reporter