[Fwd: Germany]

Ravicher, Daniel B. DRavicher at brobeck.com
Mon Jan 29 19:31:09 UTC 2001

The disclaimer is on the outside of the box.

> But not disclosing a disclaimer of warranty
> at time of sale
> is tantamount to fraud. You can sell as many copies of
> warranty-less BS
> Office as you want, and you'll have no problem with me. So
> long as the
> customer is made aware of that warranty-less state at the
> time of sale.

Agreed.  Their can be no bargain based on fraud.  However, if I do tell you
there's no warranty, I won't hear you complain later.  It's the decision of
the consumer to purchase a warranty or not.  [Have you ever tried getting
out of Circuit City after buying a new electronic without them trying to
push on you some "extended warranty plan"?]

> The only time the courts
> should be
> involved is when the consumer sues the producer for fraud. An
> example would
> be BS Inc representing BS Office as a merchantible product
> when it is clearly
> not.
>
> I don't expect you to offer a warranty with your rust-bucket
> used Pinto.
> However, if you represent to me that there is nothing wrong
> with your old
> Pinot, and it collapses in a heap ten feet out of your
> driveway, I want my
> money back. The courts step in if we cannot subsequently agree on a
> resolution. Perhaps there indeed was nothing wrong with your
> Pinto until
> thirty secons after the sale was finalized. Perhaps you were
> fully cognizant
> that it was a piece of crap and outright lied to me.

Complete agreement.

> I'm not arguing that you can't sell software without a
> warranty. But if you
> do you need to disclose to the school that your software is
> not warrantied to
> be fit for any purpose. Or in other words, make it clear to
> them that "all
> sales are final".

Agreed again.  But once I tell them "no warranties; as is" they can't
complain later when the software crashes.

> But warranty is not support! As a school administrator, if
> you were going to
> sell me your software for $1 but couldn't even see your way
> to offering a
> money-back warranty, I would be very suspicious. If the
> software doesn't
> work, I'm not going to ask you to spend 100 man hours trying
> to fix it, I
> only want my $1 back.

Your suspicions indicate an educated consumer who might be willing to pay
more money for $1 back guarantee [for that matter, you might even be willing
to pay even more for a 100 man hour warranty].  Shouldn't you have that
choice?

> --
> David Johnson
> http://www.usermode.org

This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.

To reply to our email administrator directly, send an email to postmaster at brobeck.com
BROBECK PHLEGER & HARRISON LLP
http://www.brobeck.com