Common Public License (IBM) Patent License Clause 2(b)

Ravicher, Daniel B. DRavicher at brobeck.com
Fri Jan 26 15:27:41 UTC 2001

> Hey Dan,
> I'm actually interested in OSI certification, and the IBM
> License has been OSI certified.  So are you indicating that
> if 2(b) were removed, that the IBM License would have a
> better chance at GPL compatibility?

To be compatible with the GPL, I believe the IBMPL can place no more
requirements on the licensee than the GPL has.  Admittedly I haven't put
enough thought into the IBMPL, but my knee-jerk reaction is that you
shouldn't expect smooth sailing with FSF for a couple of reasons.  First,
the IBMPL has an indemnification requirement under the discussion of
commercial distribution (section 4).  In my practice, indemnification
provisions are just as important as the grant.  I'd also expect push back on
the choice of laws provisions in the IBMPL by FSF.

Just my thoughts.

Dan Ravicher
Brobeck
1633 Broadway, 47th Fl.
NY, NY 10019
p. 212.315.8032
f. 212.586.7878
e. dravicher at brobeck.com
w. www.brobeck.com

> Carter
>
> Carter Bullard
> QoSient, LLC
> 300 E. 56th Street, Suite 18K
> New York, New York  10022
>
> carter at qosient.com
> Phone +1 212 813-9426
> Fax   +1 212 813-9426

This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.

To reply to our email administrator directly, send an email to postmaster at brobeck.com
BROBECK PHLEGER & HARRISON LLP
http://www.brobeck.com