IPL as a burden

Ben Tilly ben_tilly at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 23 19:45:08 UTC 2001

"Lawrence E. Rosen" <lrosen at rosenlaw.com> wrote:

> > OSI Certified Open Source applies to _licenses_, not _software_.
>
>Actually, no, the certification mark is applied to *software* that is
>distributed under approved *licenses*.  Certification marks cannot be
>applied to licenses, because licenses aren't "goods" distributed in
>commerce.

Then I think your position on Berkeley DB, shipped by
Sleepycat Software, would do wonders in clearing this
up.  To my eyes they are open source and they claim
to be open source.  The product is widely used and
their license seems straightforward and simple.

It boils down to saying that you are free to use this
software, with or without modificaiton, in any software
for which source is available.  You may not remove
their copyright notice.  Said notice includes contact
information in case you want to negotiate a different
license or purchase support for Berkeley DB.

The license is at http://www.sleepycat.com/license.net.

Cheers,
Ben