To the keepers of the holy grail of Open Source

Jorg Janke jjanke at accorto.com
Tue Jan 23 03:43:12 UTC 2001

Hi Larry,

Here some ideas and suggestions:

- If someone send s mail to license-approval, just acknowledge the mail, say
it might take 6 months and that they should evaluate using the xxxx license
in the meantime. This sets expectations and buys you time.

- If you are swamped with license requests, I think that the only way put is
to create a "standard license" with just replacing the name and a few
options to either select or not select (I guess mainly in the area of what
to do when re-distributing).  I "cleaned up" our license suggestion and it
might be a starting base.  The main difference to many other licenses are:
commercial use, require 3rd party license. Gone are the restrictions
criticized before. Links:   http://www.compiere.org/license.html  and the
"as much pure ASCII as a MS Windows system allows" version
http://www.compiere.org/license.txt  .  It would actually be nice to make it
more readable for non-lawyers, but would need feedback for that.

- If you have a standard license, than I would definitely charge for the
approval.  IBM, Netscape, Apple, Sun, etc. will pay.  Use a revenue scaled
fee, maybe starting at $1000(Whatever a hired lawyer would charge)

- What you want to do (I assume) is help the "hacker" to have a license to
protect him/her - and that should be for free.  All the others using Open
Source as a publicity or marketing tool should pay by their ability.

- This would give you time to help the hacker, concentrate on new areas and
make the others pay for what they are looking for.

- I subscribed to the license-discuss for a while before sending my last
mail ... and I read more or less all licenses published on your site.  You
are probably aware, that most companies use the open source initiative as a
publicity tool "hey we are the good guys" - same as "open system" movement a
few years back.

- Consequently, I really think you guys need to change your emphasis from
approving Licenses to coming up with a "Good Open Source Seal" or something
like that.  I am in this industry for more than 20 years starting as a
hacker to senior management and back to hacker (because management stinks).
When I started, I thought that my source is the most valuable I have.  I
realized, that giving it away does not harm you at all, it gives the
recipient just a good feeling.   Even if a "bad" person takes it and does
something you would not like, the damage is minimal.

- The main difference between commercial software and Open Source is not
that you can get the source, but that you can legally use it without paying.
How many people are capable changing code of Apache?  But on the other hand,
how many people use a MS Word license for more than one person/pc - or
"forgot" to count a few users/CPUs/MHz/etc. for their Oracle or other server
licenses?

- I think that you need to try to protect the (sill good) Open Source name -
Or it will simply end up as slapping your source on the web, offer
implementation and support (the only way to get it working) and sail under
the Open Source "the good guy" banner.  With the ASP model becoming more and
more attractive, the support fee just includes the prorated license fee.  I
just paid my yearly Borland JDeveloper support fee (which is just upgrades)
for $2400 - a new license is $2900 - effectively you are paying $500 for the
"free" implementation support after the initial purchase.

AGAIN: - Concentrate on the IMPORTANT parts - and License issues are not the
most important part for the Open Source movement .... well ... after
approving mine ;-)
The license can only be a part.

- Suggestion for the "Good Open Source Citizen Seal" administration process:
a) The person(s) interested fill out a form and "sign" it
b) You believe them and they get the seal
c) The seal is just a graph linking to a site where you list the "nice guys"
d) On the "nice guys" page are the criteria listed and a link to a form
which can be filled out if someone thinks that they don't follow the
principles by letter or spirit
e) If you get an email, you ask the seal owner for comment/change and decide
f) If required, seal is revoked and the page link put to a "bad guys" list
.... and I would even volunteer to set up the process and maintain these
pages.

P.S.:	Sorry about sending messages in something other than "base ASCII".

Cheers,

Jorg Janke		(203) 445-8182
www.accorto.com	Smart Business Management Solutions
www.compiere.org	Open Source ERP