OSI compliance requiring software to be "free beer"?

Russell Nelson nelson at crynwr.com
Thu Jan 18 16:29:58 UTC 2001

Manfred Schmid writes:
 > I hereby request an official Board statement: Does OSI approval of
 > licenses require the software to be free in the sense of "free beer"?

[ I prefer to use the terms "gratis" and "libre".  In English, "free"
means both those things at the same time, and in our context is often
VERY confusing. ]

No.  I (just one of the board members of OSI) don't care if software
is gratis.  Open Source (or "Free", aka rms-Free) software must be
libre.  That it ends up being gratis is just a side-effect; sometimes
a good one, sometimes a bad one.  If you can figure out how to make
libre software not also be gratis, you'll become a rich man.

--
-russ nelson <sig at russnelson.com>  http://russnelson.com | Government is the
Crynwr sells support for free software  | PGPok | fictitious entity by which