IPL as a burden

Carter Bullard carter at qosient.com
Wed Jan 17 16:26:20 UTC 2001

Gentle people,
I'm not a laywer so if I'm missing something, please fill in.

> From: Gregor Hoffleit [mailto:gregor at mediasupervision.de]
>
> Well, the GPL says this:
>
>     "Activities other than copying, distribution and
> modification are not
> covered by this License; they are outside its scope."

Appears that the GPL does not grant any rights
relating to executing the Program based on this clause.

> "The act of running the Program is not restricted, and
> the output from the Program is covered only if its contents
> constitute a work based on the Program (independent of
> having been made by running the Program). Whether that is
> true depends on what the Program does."

The act of executing the Program is not restricted, but it
also doesn't appear to be granted by the GPL, as it is out
of scope of the GPL.  Even when the output of the Program
is "covered", there is no text describing what rights would
be granted to the user of the output.  Although there may be
an implication that the GPL may allow the user to "copy,
distribute and modify" the Program output, that doesn't
implicitly grant any rights to the use of the output.

> and
>
>   "6. Each time you redistribute the Program (or any work based on the
> Program), the recipient automatically receives a license from the
> original licensor to copy, distribute or modify the Program subject to
> these terms and conditions.  You may not impose any further
> restrictions on the recipients' exercise of the rights granted herein.
> You are not responsible for enforcing compliance by third parties to
> this License."

Because the recipients' rights granted by the GPL do not apply to
executing the Program, restrictions on executing the Program would
not impose any further restrictions on any rights granted by the
GPL.

Carter

Carter Bullard
QoSient, LLC