IPL as a burden

Frank LaMonica frankl at valinux.com
Tue Jan 16 03:55:22 UTC 2001

Andrew,
You may be correct about saying people would require source if they knew more
about it, however they have to care about it to some degree first before they
will, in general, take the time to learn about the issues.   If you read the
rest of my posting, you would see that I continued on by saying the people on
this list are exceptions - they do care about the source code.  Unfortunately,
we are the extreme minority.  I go on to show how open data formats may be a
lever which can be used to open the eyes of those users who sit fat, dumb, and
happy using proprietary software that locks up their data in hidden formats.
Once they have reached the realization that the protection of their own data,
and their ability to freely access that data are two issues they should care
about, we may be able to get them to care more about open source code.

BTW, your analogy about a car is no longer valid.  Almost all new cars are
controlled by proprietary programs running in embedded processors that can only
be accessed by very expensive equipment that is tightly controlled by the car
company.  The days of tuning your own car without a computer are over, we've
lost the automobile war  :(
Frank