Use of GPL without any intention to enforce

Matthew C. Weigel weigel+ at pitt.edu
Mon Feb 12 23:20:50 UTC 2001

On Mon, 12 Feb 2001, Carter Bullard wrote:

> Would it be reasonable to make the claim that there is no
> intention to enforce a license in the license itself?

Definitely not, IMO.  I would suggest that, instead, prominent notice be
given that the author is perfectly willing to relicense the code under other
open source licenses, should someone ask, or else put the code in the public
domain.  Another option might be to talk to the FSF about assigning
copyright of the work to them, with the understanding that they license it
to people under other licenses when asked to do so (although they would
likely only be interested in relicensing it under free software, and not
open souce, licenses; there are a few differences).
--
 Matthew Weigel
 Research Systems Programmer
 weigel+ at pitt.edu