General problems with licenses listed

Jeffrey Drake jpt.d at rogers.com
Sun Dec 30 04:37:11 UTC 2001

Many of the licenses that are approved seem to have specific properties
about them.

For example the opening to the W3C license:
Copyright © 1994-2001 World Wide Web Consortium, (Massachusetts
Institute of Technology, Institut National de Recherche en Informatique
et en Automatique, Keio University). All Rights Reserved.
http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Legal/

This opening I believe is inappropriate to be used in a general project
that might use this license. If the project changes this, then it ceases
to be the license approved by the opensource.org website.

Other examples similar to this exist. Such as Motosoto license, Apache
license, Sleepycat, and Vovida. Others may exist.

Shouldn't these licenses be approved as removing any company specific
copyright notice or other entries?

Sun does pretty much this, so does BSD and MIT.

So I believe that any license submitted should be non-party specific in
a templated form.

Any pro/con comments for this would be greatly appreciated.
Regards,
Jeffrey Drake