license-ish vs. Bill of Rights-ish

Steve Mallett steve at opensourcedirectory.com
Thu Dec 13 22:44:45 UTC 2001

> Microsoft has not chosen to attack GNU/Linux or other free software
> products directly on licensing terms.  They've attempted typical
> moving-goalposts attacks on other aspects of free software (WINE,
> Samba), and are now appearing to try to rewrite the ground rules with
> dirty tricks such as SSSCA and the proposed DoJ settlement which would
> allow them to bar competitive, free, technologies (again, Samba).
>
> Licensing isn't the problem, strategy is.  This is broader than mere
> contract writing.

Agreed.  I will add that *strategy* consideration to what I'm writing.

I think that regardless of the license's effectiveness it is MSFT's or anyone
else's best use of time and resources to cut off the supply at the source.
No pun intended, but would anyone disagree that the license's legal (in
court) enforceability is _not_ the larger issue in this instance, but the
_intent_ of it?  In this case, they are opposing the legal implications.  Non?

So my question remains, though better defined...  Does it matter that a
license is legal defensible in a court room??? Or that (with the strategic
twist) it is understandable by the masses?  I will maintain that, so far,
there has been miserable success in not mutually excluding the two.

Legalese                      Clear Intent       (Legal Model)
--------------------------
^

or

Legalese                      Clear Intent       (Can be put on a bumper
                                           ^

--
Steve Mallett | Stable, Open-Source Apps
steve at opensourcedirectory.com | http://OSDir.org
webmaster at opensource.org
http://open5ource.net   <GPG, Voice, etc.>

"Non-cooperation with evil is as much a duty as cooperation with good."
        -- Mohandas Gandhi