Two GPL Questions

Chris D. Sloan cds at cs.hmc.edu
Mon Dec 10 06:34:41 UTC 2001

On Sun, Dec 09, 2001 at 10:26:02PM -0800, Rick Moen wrote:
> begin Justin Wells quotation:
>
> [FSF:]
>
> > Its adversarity, say Microsoft Corp., has different ideas about how
> > the GPL v3 should be worded... for example, allowing Microsoft (and
> > only Microsoft) to incorporate all GPL'd software into Windows.
>
> (Lawfully and with public acknowledgement, you mean.  For all we know,
> there's plenty already there.)
>
> Result Primus:  The next versions of all GPLed work no longer permit
> accepting the software under GPL v. 3.  Microsoft Corp. finds that it
> has gained only the right to a proprietary fork of old versions, if it
> cares to maintain them.

That can only be done if the all of the relevent copyright holders can
be found and their permissions obtained, right?

Assume there is a program called foo which is licensed under GPL v. 2
or, at your option any later version.  Can I make a change to that
program and release by version of foo under only GPL v. 2?

	Chris

--
Chris Sloan
cds at cs.hmc.edu