Does "modification" include translation to another HLL?

Rod Dixon rodd at cyberspaces.org
Fri Dec 7 18:15:05 UTC 2001

John's initial point is correct. A copyright protected work's copyright is
infringed by the creation of an unauthorized translation, which is
considered a derivative work. Here is the tricky part; the fact that you
read the work and then created the derivative work does not take the
translated work outside of the original author's copyright interest.
Whether you have an incredible memory or not, a translation is a
translation (I agree that a modification from one computer language to
another is ostensibly the same as a translation from one human language to
another as far as the matter of derivative works). Hence, John's second
fact pattern switched from an inquiry concerning authorization to create a
derivative work to a question of whether the Perl program was
independently created (i.e. original to that author). In my opinion,
John's hypo is just as likely to lead to litigation as the one he was
responding to since "reading" the program could be circumstantial evidence
of copying.

Rod Dixon