W3C license

Joseph Reagle reagle at w3.org
Fri Aug 31 13:04:19 UTC 2001

On Thursday 30 August 2001 18:41, Matthew C. Weigel wrote:
> Yes, that's the point.  Russ got onto me awhile back for complaining
> about the OSI not listening, without sending mail to
> osi at opensource.org.

Our request is pending from January 14 2000 [1], which complied with the
stated policy of sending the request to license-approval. John Cowan actually
stated it should be added to the list for consideration in September 2000
[2], but still no action as recently discussed [3].

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-archive/2001Jun/0017.html
[2] http://www.mail-archive.com/license-discuss@opensource.org/msg02310.html
[3] http://www.mail-archive.com/license-discuss@open source.org/msg03484.html

> There is no reason to think it is in the queue because it was never
> actually listed as being in the queue; they are, for wont of a better
> explanation, ignoring it.

Correct. Fortunately with respect to my SourceForge concern, this has not
been a problem with them; for example HTML Tidy is now a SourceForge project.
It's just rather confusing, and slightly awkward with respect to this whole
OSI process and the classification of "other/proprietary" on SourceForge. But
there's ultimately bigger problems in the world <smile/>.

[4] http://sourceforge.net/projects/tidy