W3C license

Matthew C. Weigel weigel+ at pitt.edu
Fri Aug 31 05:52:15 UTC 2001

On Thu, 30 Aug 2001, Russell Nelson wrote:

> Hey, when did you do that?  25 April 2001.
> Why didn't you tell me??  Because if you don't bother asking us how
>     the license approval is going, you obviously don't care.  If you
>     don't care, we don't care.

http://www.mail-archive.com/license-discuss@opensource.org/msg03417.html

Apparently, Joseph was under the horribly mistaken impression that
mailing to license-discuss was an appropriate way to find this out.

Last September, it was discussed in response to Lawrence Rosen's
posting to the list - it was pretty clear that Joseph was asking for
help on getting his license approved.  No one from the OSI responded.
Again this past June.  No one responded, except yours truly, and I
recommended contacting webmaster at opensource.org (a position that we
later found out was vacant at the time).

Don't get your panties in a knot over what *we're* doing wrong.  Try
making it clear how to do it right.
http://www.opensource.org/docs/certification_mark.html#approval
certainly doesn't reflect this, and - gasp - it was updated 5 days
after this grand policy change.

Do your statements here suggest that anything that we actually want
people in the OSI to see should go to osi at opensource.org?

Since Joseph Reagle has apparently been too lazy to be worth your
attention, I'll forward your message to him.
--
 Matthew Weigel
 Research Systems Programmer
 mcweigel at cs.cmu.edu ne weigel at pitt.edu