approval time

sambc at nights.force9.co.uk sambc at nights.force9.co.uk
Fri Aug 10 09:32:04 UTC 2001

>Does someone know how much time - on average - it takes for a new license to
>be approved by the OSI ?

Quite a contentious question really. I've had no yea or nay in over a year, but some commercially-originated licenses have surfaced and been approved in that time (I am lead to believe) - certainly many have been handled more quickly than mine. It is said to depend on several things, the main thing being the value the license has to the opensource marketplace, in terms of replicating old licenses. It is, however, also quicker if it is merely a small but necessary change to an established license.

I don't represent OSI at all.

SamBC