GPLv2 'web-app loophole'

Karsten M. Self kmself at ix.netcom.com
Wed Aug 8 01:27:36 UTC 2001

on Tue, Aug 07, 2001 at 06:15:12PM -0700, David Johnson (david at usermode.org) wrote:
> On Tuesday 07 August 2001 05:13 am, Rod Dixon, J.D., LL.M. wrote:
>
> > Hmm... This is an interesting argument. You seem to be saying that you
> > doubt that some/all web-apps (scripts that execute on the server) load into
> > an end-user's RAM?
>
> That's part of what I'm saying. And if the web-app isn't being
> distributed/copied to the user, then the GPL cannot regulate web-apps based
> on that.

Note that this rule doesn't hole for Java, Javascript, Flash, and other
forms of content that are transmitted to, and executed on, the client's
host.  In this case, code is distributed to the user's system.  I'd
argue GPL distribution obligations would triggered.

--
Karsten M. Self <kmself at ix.netcom.com>          http://kmself.home.netcom.com/