[Fwd: Re: GPL and NDA]

Russell Nelson nelson at crynwr.com
Wed Aug 1 15:58:06 UTC 2001

Randy Kramer writes:
 > Let's say I create such a derivative work, and I don't GPL it.  But I
 > leave it somewhere (accidentally, with no malice aforethought) where
 > somebody else finds it, with no copyright or GPL notice.  Now they take
 > it and use it as is or create a derivative work, and distribute it as a
 > closed source program.
 >
 > What is the status in a case like that?

They are infringing on your copyright.  You have not given them
permission to copy the program; therefore they have none.  They may
use the copy that they got from you (if they did so legally) but
without copy rights, they cannot give a copy to anyone else.

--
-russ nelson <sig at russnelson.com>  http://russnelson.com
Crynwr sells support for free software  | PGPok |