FW: tomsrtbt license, take 4

lrosen at rosenlaw.com lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Sun Apr 22 19:16:18 UTC 2001

Tom, I've been reading the email about your license without commenting
publicly, because I don't want to be giving you legal advice in a public
forum.  But I do have a few comments that may be generally helpful.

Software licenses are not jokes.  They are not appropriate places for
humorous quips such as "DAMN WELL SHOULD, PRETTY PLEASE" or "if it breaks
keep both pieces" or "imbibe." If you expect a court to take your license
seriously when someone misuses your software, you should be precise,
unambiguous, and legally appropriate.  Consult a lawyer if you want your
license to be taken seriously.

If, on the other hand, you simply want to contribute your software to the
world at large without imposing lots of restrictions while at the same time
protecting yourself from liability, then why don't you use one of the
already-approved licenses listed on the OSI website?  The BSD license is the
simplest, but if it doesn't meet your needs, consider one of the more
complicated ones that contains more specific terms and conditions.

OSI is being inudated with requests to approve licenses.  Those licenses
that are not serious -- indeed, not even taken seriously by the people who
submit them -- should probably be placed on the bottom of the queue for
consideration by the busy board of directors.

/Larry Rosen