copyrightable APIs? (was RE: namespace protection compatiblewit

Angelo Schneider angelo.schneider at oomentor.de
Sat Apr 21 14:28:41 UTC 2001

Hi all!

Rod Dixon wrote:

> Those are very good thoughts, if I may say so.
> Rod
>
> On Fri, 20 Apr 2001, Chloe Hoffman wrote:
>

> > I am not sure I see how 102(b) should exclude APIs from copyrightable
> > subject matter as an absolute matter. Surely some aspects of an API may
> > fail because of various doctrines such as merger, scenes a faire, etc.
> > (viz. sqrt()) but I am not sure I see how a full set of APIs should be
> > excluded per se. I find it hard to distinguish an API from a "computer
> > program" - if APIs fail under 102(b) then shouldn't computer programs in

An API is not THE program.
A POSIX compliant kernal (or his calling interface) all suport the same
API, POSIX.

The standard C library and the glibc have a lot of "functions" in
common.

The command line options of the command "ls" or for simplicity a command
like "rm" are mre or less the same in the same UNIX family.

THAT is an API.

Of course one can write a replacement for glibc exposing the same API.
Of course one can write a kernal which has a calling interface which is
identical to that of POSIX.
Of course one can write a replacement for "ls" or "rm" which accept the
same command line options (and serve the same purpose).

An API is in my sence a LANGUAGE. Take it as an mathematical language if
you like, a language can not be copyrighted.

The other posts I saw regarding this thread (about Adope, Psotscript and
PDF, and Sun/Microsoft JAVA) are in my opinion Trademark issues.

The same is true if you go and call a kernal POSIX compliant. I don't
know if POSIX is a trademark.

The only thing which is in general copyrightable, is CONTENT.
The only thing which is in general(exceptions exist e.g. in the US)
patent able is a PROCESS in conjunction whith the artifact which is
created by performing it. (Same process for different purpose is not
affected, same artifact created in a different way is not affected -
except that artifact is copyrighted)
The only thing wich can get trademarked are (artificial) names used in
public (business) affairs (where the names reffer to an artifact or an
business).

Well, I'm not a lawyer and I simplificated it a bit. (Also I'm from
germany, a lot of stuff is different here than in the rest of the world,
outside europe)

However I work in copyright relevant areas for 10 years now ....

Finaly: JAVA is a trademark, so if GNU CLASSPATH would call it self
JAVA, than there would be trouble.

Regards!

    Angelo