copyrightable API???

mirabilos eccesys at topmail.de
Sat Apr 21 12:01:18 UTC 2001

If I have followed the discussion correctly, no one wants to
copyright his API, but he wants to prevent some people
from claiming some incompatible software compliant.
Example:

What YOU think of, and IMO is not asked, is:

- M$ publishes (not) WIN32 API
- Wine (under different name) seeks compliance
is ok

What I think is meant:

- I write an API, and someone using it has to include "myapi.h"
- someone extends myapi.lib to yourapi.lib, which still is
   compatible with the original API and thus may be used with
   including either one of "myapi.h" and "yourapi.h"
- BUT if someone doesn't keep the interface compliant, he
   shouldn't claim it is, because e.g. if I replaced old Trumpet
   Winsock.DLL with a different one, programmes linked to it
   weren't functional any longer, so I wanted to prohibite it.

Ok, that's just my 0.02 EUR ;-)

(PS: Now that's my .sig - I'd like to discuss the license in it, too)

-mirabilos
--
)))                  LICENSE FOR ABOVE MESSAGE BODY:              (((
YOU _MUST NOT_ READ  ABOVE MESSAGE BODY  IF YOU DO NOT AGREE TO THESE