namespace protection compatible with the OSD?

John Cowan jcowan at reutershealth.com
Thu Apr 19 20:38:31 UTC 2001

Brian Behlendorf wrote:

> Would you agree that if I took one of Shakespeare's plays and reworked it
> into a screenplay, or novel, that my work would be a derivative work?
> Throw in translating to Chinese for good measure.  Throw in adding some
> extra scenes and characters to really flesh out my work, or to adapt it to
> a new culture.

All of those things are making a derivative work, clearly.

> I think the idea of implementing an API is the same thing.
> And I think this is a much closer analogy than using the tax advice given
> by a tax book.

The closest analogy is building a house from a blueprint.  The house
isn't a derivative work of the blueprint, or architects wouldn't need
to get paid for drawing them -- they could sue the contractor for
infringement.

> I am not a lawyer, but I'm getting uncomfortably familiar with too many
> things usually only lawyers have to worry about.

Tell it, brother!

--
There is / one art             || John Cowan <jcowan at reutershealth.com>
no more / no less              || http://www.reutershealth.com