OpenLDAP license

Karsten M. Self kmself at ix.netcom.com
Thu Apr 12 21:30:06 UTC 2001

on Wed, Apr 11, 2001 at 07:46:42PM -0400, Frank Hecker (frank at collab.net) wrote:
> "Karsten M. Self" wrote:
> > For the second time today:
> >
> >     The program must include source code, and must allow distribution
> >     in source code as well as compiled information about form.
> >
> > Again, the initial (OSD-compliant) distribution must include source.
> > The licensing terms must allow for distribution of source.  The license
> > need not *compel* distribution of source.  Following an OSD-compliant
> > distribution, downstream distributions may either be OSD-compliant or
> > not.
>
> Not to stick my nose in the middle of this heated topic :-), but I think
> I see (at least a bit) what Ryan Dancey is concerned about. In fact, I'm
> beginning to think that he may have exposed an ambiguity in the way OSI
> handles certification of software as "OSI Certified Open Source
> Software".
>
> I think the underlying source of confusion is whether the OSD is
> intended to place requirements on a software license considered in
> isolation (i.e., as a stand-alone legal document), or rather is intended
> to place requirements on "distribution terms" considered in the context
> of a specific program and the exact manner in which it happens to be
> distributed. This confusion is IMO compounded by the way OSI specifies
> its requirements for use of the OSI certification mark.

This is a distinction I've pointed out elsewhere (my O'Reilly Open
Source licensing presentation and various list mails):  the Open Source
Definition and the FSF's classification of Free Software are differently
formed.

Specifically, the FSF is concerned with the program itself, by
reflecting back to the license and how its rules effect distribution.
The OSD is applied to licenses, which project onto software.  The net
mapping onto software is largely similar (though certain categories of
free software wouldn't be considered for OSD certification, "public
domain" and US Federal Government works are two that come to mind.  In
the case of PD (either the more rigorously defined lapsed copyright
term, or the commonly accepted term for software that's been liberalized
of all copyright protections by its author), there is no license.  In
the case of US Government works, copyright protections are expressly
waived by statute.

The language of the OSD is somewhat confusing in that it speaks largely
to software but governs licensing.  This could be a problem.

<...>

> However, whether this was and is its intention or not, IMO the OSI is
> seen as primarily certifying _licenses_ as OSD-compliant, not
> "distribution terms" in this larger sense.

s/primarily/expressly/

> Thus, given that the OSI has certified the BSD and MIT licenses (among
> others) as "approved licenses", Ryan Dancey is apparently looking to
> those licenses themselves to provide some guarantee that the
> requirements of OSD section 2 are fulfilled. Since the BSD and MIT
> licenses in and of themselves do not provide this guarantee, he has
> apparently concluded that either a) the BSD and MIT licenses are not
> really "OSD-compliant"; or b) the OSD is flawed in some way.
>
> I agree that this is confusing, but I also agree with your (Karsten's)
> implied argument: Neither (a) or (b) above is true; the seeming
> contradiction can be resolved by abandoning the idea that a license is
> "OSD-compliant" in and of itself.  By "approving" a license what the OSI
> means to state (IMO) is that if you distribute a particular piece of
> software under the approved license _and_ if you take any other actions
> that are necessary to meet the requirements of the OSD (actions which
> may not be explicitly referenced by the license itself), then your
> "distribution terms" as a whole satisfy the OSD, and you have earned the
> right to call your software (as distributed by you) "open source".

I suspect this becomes rather more difficult to do cleanly than a
license certification.  You've just scaled the task from approving terms
from a set of licenses to monitoring a projection of these licenses
against software projects.  More nodes, and changing state.  OSI is
barely able to keep up with the flow of licenses as it is, the extended
case would be infeasible with current resources, and probably with
several orders of magnitude more.

What the OSD *does* currently do is say that, if you have software, and
source, under a certified license, you're ensured of a minimum set of
rights defined under the OSD.

    OSD rights == Software + source + license

Damn you, Frank.

Good conundrum.

--
Karsten M. Self <kmself at ix.netcom.com>    http://kmself.home.netcom.com/