Certification Mark: OSI Certified

Lawrence E. Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Thu Apr 12 19:05:57 UTC 2001

The comments in license-discuss about the OSI certification mark, "OSI
Certified" as applied to open source software, prompted me to review the OSI
website.  Thanks to those of you who pointed out the confusing wording.  I
have submitted some changes to our webmaster to clarify.

On the page http://www.opensource.org/docs/certification_mark.html I have
requested the following changes:

   "If you want to use the OSI Certified mark on your software,
   you can do this by distributing the software with an approved
   license from the list and marking the software appropriately,..."

                 should be changed to

   "If you want to use the OSI Certified mark on your software,
   you can do this by distributing the software under an approved
   license from the list and marking the software appropriately,..."

   "You may use the OSI Certified mark on any software distribution
   that contains, and meets the requirements of, any license on the
   approved list below, or on software whose source code is explicitly
   identified as having been placed in the public domain."

                 should be changed to

   "You may use the OSI Certified mark on any software that is
   distributed under any license on the OSI approved list."

There were also a couple of questions about the certification mark that I
will try to answer.

First, the OSI Certified mark is applied to software, because software is
the "goods" that are distributed in interstate commerce.  It can only be
applied if the license under which the software is distributed is approved
by OSI.

Second, an example was given of software distributed under the MPL (an OSI
approved license) and then redistributed under another license that is not
OSI approved.  That is allowed under the MPL.  The original software is OSI
Certified Open Source Software because the MPL is an approved license.  The
redistributed software, on the other hand, is not OSI Certified.

My proposed changes to the OSI website are intended to clear up confusion
about those points.

/Larry Rosen
Executive Director, OSI
650-216-1597