APSL 1.2

phil hunt philh at comuno.freeserve.co.uk
Thu Apr 5 23:44:56 UTC 2001

On Thu, 5 Apr 2001, Ron Dumont wrote:
> We are trying to encourage companies who deploy APSL software to share
> their modifications with the broader community.  Typically, companies
> will adapt software to meet the broader needs of people across their
> organization.  An example is the use of our Streaming Server software,
> where changes made to serve an organization can be of direct benefit to
> other users in the community.

Indeed. And if a company releases their changes, the changes can get
incorporated into the latest version, and kept up-to-date.

The APSL, however, doesn't give companies the option of *not*
releasing their changes. IMO this provision is unlikely to benefit Apple
much, because:

(i) most companies that produce significant changes will want to
release them, for the reason I give above

(ii) companies that *don't* want to contribute their changes are likely
to just not release them; no-one will find out what they are doing,
because they won't tell anyone. If a company doesn't want to play nice,
I don't think this provision is likely to persuade them otherwise.

So I don't think this clause helps Apple much; it just seems to irk
some people (such as RMS) -- and Apple has no interest in alienating
part of the open source / free software developer community.

Lastly, IANAL but I think this license as it stands isn't open source,
because it discriminates against a field of activity, in that the
rules for disclosure of internal modifications differ depending on
whether its being used for commercial or non commercial purposes.

--
***** Phil Hunt *****
"An unforseen issue has arisen with your computer. Don't worry your silly