What license to pick...

flash gordon gordon49 at flash.net
Sat Sep 30 02:30:51 UTC 2000

At 10:09 AM 9/29/00 +0200, Lionello Lunesu wrote:
>OK..
>
>So we (my company) have decided to make our VR-toolkit open source! But we
>haven't decided which license to use for it. GPL seems the obvious choice,
>but we want to restrict the freedom somehow (at least in the beginning, just
>so we can ge more organised). We definately want to prohibit commercial use
>(I guess GPL covers this),

GPL does not prohibit commercialization, it protects it.

Personally I think that is a major flaw in the GNU/GPL concept of
'freeware' - I think the term 'freeware' should be reserved for software
that is both free of restrictions on modifications and use AND free of
charge/cost [except for nominal media and copy costs].  GPL should better
be referred to as 'full use' software, in contrast to the typical
commercial 'limited fair use' copyright restrictions.

As is, GPL allows people to commercialize/capitalize something in they had
no creative input.  Mere merchants can in effect render it property by
requiring payment for the software above the cost of media and
reproduction, which in this day and age is virtually nil.  The social
exchange should be, what you receive freely, you shall give freely.  To me
it is tantamont to fraud to charge for software [except for minimal media
and copy costs] for which you hold no legal rights.   Any charges above
such minimal related costs would have to be seen as a de facto exchange for
the software code itself, in which a mere merchant/seller has no rights.

Were I to release code for the public good and access, I would resent it
highly if someone assimilated it, packaged it and marketed it, and making
thousands or even millions in the process.  And if that were to happen, I
think I would be reluctant to be altruistic and release more code pro bono.

>but we also want to be notified of any changes
>made in our source (so we can review them and possibly build them in, in the
>'real' version). AND we don't want other people to be able to create their
>own distribution of the toolkit.

So what you want is to make the source available, so others can enhance it,
critique it, fix it and you have full rights to all their effort but they
cannot release their work?  definitely not GPL afaik and certainly not what
I would call full-use freeware.