What license to pick...

Dave J Woolley david.woolley at bts.co.uk
Fri Sep 29 10:15:53 UTC 2000

> From:	Lionello Lunesu [SMTP:lionello at mondobizzarro.com]
>
> so we can ge more organised). We definately want to prohibit commercial
> use
> (I guess GPL covers this), but we also want to be notified of any changes

The GPL encourages commercial use (I may be wrong, but
I have a feeling that the OSI rules require all their
licences to permit it as well).

First, of course, one has to define commercial use, and
this is the great problem with "no commercial use" claues.

Some people mean actually selling the software.

Some include giving it away as to someone with whom one has
a commercial relationship (e.g. Kermit).

Some mean using it internally in the course of a business
(they may make a distinction between internal use and
providing access to the software as a service, although
the distinction may be blurred).

The GPL permits all of these activities, but requires that,
in the first two cases, the, possibly modified, source code
be provided under the GPL, and that no licensing conflicts be
created.  For the third case, it permits unpublished modifications
and mixing with code with conflicting licences.