Qt and the GPL

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Sep 6 15:34:42 UTC 2000

begin David Johnson quotation:

> The work _as_a_whole_ must be under the GPL, but the individual
> components don't have to be so long as they fulfill the GPL's
> distribution requirements.

That is correct.  I was speaking of the combined work.  (There are
several key terms in the GNU GPL:  linking, derived work, distribution.
My post addressed licencing of the hypthesised derived work.)

> Okay, two things. Copyright law does not normally allow the recipient
> to change the terms of copyright or licensing. The author must give
> permission to do that.

That is not a relevant objection:  I was speaking of the combined work's
licence.

--
Cheers,                   "Teach a man to make fire, and he will be warm
Rick Moen                 for a day.  Set a man on fire, and he will be warm