Qt and the GPL

John Cowan cowan at locke.ccil.org
Wed Sep 6 05:01:03 UTC 2000

On Tue, 5 Sep 2000, David Johnson wrote:

> Okay, followup question. If a BSD application automatically converts to
> the GPL by linking to a GPL library, can the application still be
> distributed under the BSD license?

The application without the library of course is distributable under
its own BSD license.  The combined application can be distributed
only under the GPL.

> Second follow up. Does this mean
> that another party can change my license to the GPL against my wishes
> by merely linking my code to a GPL library? I thought (and still
> believe) that only the copyright holder can change the license.

The license on the combined code is and must be the GPL, but that
doesn't affect the license on the code you wrote as such.

John Cowan                                   cowan at ccil.org
One art/there is/no less/no more/All things/to do/with sparks/galore
	--Douglas Hofstadter