US, EU, piracy, freedom, control (was Re: Plan 9 license)

kmself at ix.netcom.com kmself at ix.netcom.com
Sun Sep 3 21:06:32 UTC 2000

On Sun, Sep 03, 2000 at 08:44:42PM +0100, Angelo Schneider wrote:
> Well, It seems that I beg for misunderstanding?
> So I simply delete and skip that part :-)
>

> > Nonsense.  The U.S. has been changing its copyright laws since 1976
> > to come into *conformity* with the rest of the world, specifically
> > including the EU.
> >

> In the EU it is not possible to transfer a copyright.

This is only partially correct, AFAIK.  Commercial rights may be
transferred.  Moral rights cannot.  For commercial purposes, EU and US
law are highly conformant.  The concept of moral rights is somewhat
peculiar to the EU, and (IIRC) French tradition in particular -- "Droit
d'author".

--
Karsten M. Self <kmself at ix.netcom.com>     http://www.netcom.com/~kmself