Plan 9 license

Angelo Schneider angelo.schneider at oomentor.de
Sun Sep 3 11:45:17 UTC 2000

Richard Stallman wrote:

>     Which is way I also dislike the terms "slavery", "subjugation" and
>     "domination" in reference to closed source software. These terms also
>     have polemical associations with evil and violence. If one metaphor is
>     wrong, then so is the other.

RMS:
> I use the terms "subjugation" and "domination" to describe non-free
> software.  These are not metaphors; they are descriptions which fit
> non-free software.  I also use metaphors such as "chains".  But I do
> not describe non-free software as "slavery", since that term seems
> like an exaggeration.  The subjugation which non-free software
> inflicts does not cover all of life, as slavery does, just one aspect
> of life.

Making "non authorized copies" is slavery! You are always talking about
the freedom of the "user" of some intellectual property.
I was talking about the creator(not necessaryly the owner) of the
intellectual property.

To copy without the authorization of the creator, denies the freedom
of the creator.

It is moral wrong to make unauthorized copies as it it s moral wrong
to denie the physical freedom of one.

This is totaly unrelated to free versus non-free verus open versus
closed software.

The point is that US copyright law is a joke, but (some)people in the
free software movement conclude false that proprietary software is
evil.

Instead of trying to change the law we have now endless discussions
about the distinction of open versus free software.

And also endless discussions about terms and their moral implications.

YES: for me making a unauthorized copy is:
a) piracy!
b) slavery!
c) theft!

And I mean that exactly as I say it. It is exacly as evil as it is
to hold one in prison or to let children work or selling narcotics
or stealing cars. It may not be physical violence but it is
intellectual violence!

Free Software is a nice idea, but not the solution. It simply
floddes the market with so much software that stealing is no longer
a reasonable action of one who likes to use the software.

I have a picture for you what is wrong about the free software
versus intellectual propertie discussion:

If you invent the one and only intergalactic starship drive, you
will make your knowledge free.

One will build that ship with that drive.

But if he does not like you, you will never be on board! Because
the ticket is so expensive that you can not affort it.

You should better think about a world in which the inventor/creator
or how ever you call him gets a fair revenue, instead about a world
in which a "customer" gets a free(in beer) access to inventions.

The point with most free software promotors is that they only see
the US and their strange copyright law and patent law.
The rest of the world is very different.

Regards,
      Angelo

Please support a software patent free EU, visit
                             http://petition.eurolinux.org/index_html

Angelo Schneider         OOAD/UML         Angelo.Schneider at oomentor.de
Putlitzstr. 24       Patterns/FrameWorks          Fon: +49 721 9812465
76137 Karlsruhe           C++/JAVA                Fax: +49 721 9812467