Plan 9 license

David Johnson david at usermode.org
Sat Sep 2 02:42:57 UTC 2000

On Fri, 01 Sep 2000, Rod Dixon, J.D., LL.M. wrote:
> If someone makes an unauthorized copy of your source
> code, they may have infringed your copyright, but they have not stolen your
> source code. You still have possession of that.

Of course! I'm not nearly as dense as to believe otherwise :-)

No metaphor is perfect, and I hope I didn't give the impression that
the piracy metaphor was even close to perfect. But the idea that
information can be stolen already has a strong foothold in the public
mind, even among the Free Software and Open Source movements. For
example, I have often heard that one should use a copyleft rather than
an unrestricted license so that "the source code can't be stolen."

--
David Johnson