Plan 9 license

David Johnson david at usermode.org
Sat Sep 2 01:47:48 UTC 2000

On Fri, 01 Sep 2000, Richard Stallman wrote:
> I am ashamed of Eric Raymond for using the term "piracy" to describe
> unauthorized copying.  That word is a propaganda term, designed to
> imply that unauthorized copying is the moral equivalent of attacking a
> ship.

The image of pillaging bucanneers may be an unfortunate association,
but it is metaphorically correct. If information can indeed be owned,
and right or wrong the law says it can be, then violating copyright is
akin to theft. Comparing piracy to committing copyright "theft" on the
"high seas" of the internet is an apt metaphor.

--
David Johnson