Nupedia Open Content License

Rod Dixon, J.D., LL.M. rod at cyberspaces.org
Mon Oct 30 16:20:57 UTC 2000

A point of clarification on fair use. "Fair use" is based on copyright.
Hence, the license may control uses that would otherwise be deemed fair uses
under the default rules of copyright. In this respect, it is not consistent
with open source philosophy to specify what uses the licensor considers fair
uses since doing so would have the opposite effect than what is intended.
You might think of it like this: although the GNU GPL flips copyright by
altering the default rules of copyright to benefit the "public domain," fair
use cannot be flipped in the same or similar manner by a license since fair
use already grants "rights" to the public.

Rod