Do programs compiled with a GNU compiler have to be open sour ce?

Dave J Woolley david.woolley at bts.co.uk
Mon Oct 30 12:08:43 UTC 2000

> From:	Andrew J Bromage [SMTP:Andrew.Bromage at its.monash.edu.au]
>
> I would think that it would be exceedingly hard to argue that the output
> of a compiler is a derivative work of (or "work based on") the compiler
> or any standard libraries that must be provided as part of a conforming

	[DJW:]  The FSF appears to consider use of the standard
	libraries to constitute a derivative work, but licenses
	them under a weaker licence that permits their use, but
	still requires the library source code to be supplied.

This is only true of the core libraries; soem libraries are
under the strict licence.