What license to pick...

John Cowan cowan at locke.ccil.org
Sun Oct 1 03:13:56 UTC 2000

On Fri, 29 Sep 2000, flash gordon wrote:

> Were I to release code for the public good and access, I would resent it
> highly if someone assimilated it, packaged it and marketed it, and making
> thousands or even millions in the process.  And if that were to happen, I
> think I would be reluctant to be altruistic and release more code pro bono.

If that *were* to happen, you would be free (as would anyone else) to
undercut the merchant.  A high price would not be sustainable.  If anyone
were able to charge a high price, it would have to be for something else:
brand name/reputation, service, or what not.

John Cowan                                   cowan at ccil.org
One art/there is/no less/no more/All things/to do/with sparks/galore
	--Douglas Hofstadter