Free documentation licenses

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Nov 29 22:51:05 UTC 2000

begin David Johnson quotation:

> I think what John meant was similar to to following analogy: You are a book
> publisher and wish to release an anthology. All of the short stories you wish
> to include are licensed under the BSD license. You can release the anthology
> under the GPL license. A reader of your anthology cannot redistribute it
> under any terms except the GPL. However, a reader can redistribute the
> individual stories under the terms of the BSD license.

That would be (an extremely thin) compilation copyright, as discussed
separately.

Such are somewhat more real-world significant for paper books, with
chapters bound together and not really practical to cut apart and glue
back differently, than they would be for adding a GPL COPYING file to
BSD modules A and B, and claiming you have GPL title to the "derived
work" the tarball constitues.

That would be a rather W.S. Gilbert sort of intellectual property,
methinks.  Not that it doesn't happen; just that it's rather silly.

--
Cheers,                                      "Reality is not optional."
Rick Moen                                             -- Thomas Sowell
rick at linuxmafia.com